HOMEStrategies for building awareness for the potential of peace education in Cameroon Ben Oru Mforndip
Has Democracy Enhanced Development in Africa? Conrad John Masabo
Permanent Emergency Powers in France: The ‘Law to Strengthen Internal Security and the Fight Against Terrorism’ and the Protection of Human Rights Lena Muhs
Women’s Political Representation in Sri Lanka: Leading towards Prosperity or Peril Pujika Rathnayake
Lack of empathy as a threat to peace Victoria Scheyer
The death of democracy in Honduras Daniel Bagheri S.
The Persons Who Changed the Lives of Terrorists and Criminals Surya Nath Prasad
RECENT ARTICLES Teaching Peace from Tales of the City: Peace Education through the Memoryscapes of Nagasaki Patporn Phoothong
Reflections of Refugees in Africa Wyclife Ong'eta Mose
Challenges and prospects of AU to implement the Ezulwini Consensus: The case of collective security and the use of force Tunamsifu Shirambere Philippe
The Right to Food Shant Melkonian
Freedom of Expression Under Threat in Zambia Mariateresa Garrido
Douglas Janoff on LGBTQIA Human Rights Luciana Téllez
Common Things: Communication, Community, Communal Peacebuilding Lina Patricia Forero Martínez
The political Crisis of the 2017 Honduran Election Daniel Bagheri S.
Water Security in the Sixaola River Basin Adrián Martinez Blanco and Diana Ubico Durán
Reborn Arunima Chouguley
An Open Letter to the American People: Political Responsibility in the Nuclear Age Richard Falk, David Krieger, and Robert Laney
In the News
Last Updated: 02/16/2007CIA Agents to Stand Trial for Italy Kidnapping
A Milan judge on Friday ordered 26 Americans, most of them believed to be CIA agents, to stand trial with Italian spies for kidnapping a Muslim cleric and flying him to Egypt, where he says he was tortured.
Among those indicted for the 2003 abduction are the former heads of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency in Rome and Milan, and the former head of Italy's SISMI military intelligence agency, Nicolo Pollari, defence lawyers said.
The trial, set to begin on June 8, will be the first criminal case over "renditions" -- one of the most controversial aspects of U.S. President George W. Bush's war on terrorism.
Prosecutors say a CIA-led team, with SISMI's help, grabbed terrorism suspect Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, off a Milan street in February 2003, bundled him into a van and drove him to a military base in northern Italy.
From there, prosecutors allege the CIA flew him via Germany to Egypt where he says he was tortured with electric shocks, beatings, rape threats and genital abuse.
Nasr was released from prison on Sunday and says he would like to return to Italy, where an Italian judge has issued a warrant for his arrest over suspicion of terrorist activity.
"I have been reduced to a wreck of a human being," he told ANSA news agency after his release. In another interview this week he said he could hardly walk: "They burst my kidneys."
Washington acknowledges secret transfers of terrorism suspects to third countries but denies using or sanctioning torture, and is not expected to hand over its agents for trial.
The U.S. State Department declined comment on the matter, referring questions to the Justice Department, which would represent the U.S. government to the extent it becomes involved in the case. The Justice Department had no comment.
"Our official, public view is that this is an internal, Italian judicial matter," said U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.
The case is being closely watched in Europe. The European Parliament approved a report on Wednesday saying governments in the region helped conceal secret U.S. transfers of terrorism suspects.
A court in Munich issued arrest warrants last month for 13 suspected CIA agents accused of kidnapping a German of Lebanese descent and flying him to a jail in Afghanistan, where he too says he was tortured.
Rome has not acknowledged any role in the kidnapping but Pollari's predecessor said in a deposition that the then CIA chief in Rome, Jeff Castelli, had raised the possibility of renditions in Italy just days after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
An Italian police officer, who has accepted a 21-month jail term instead of risking a heavier sentence by going to trial, has acknowledged helping the CIA grab Nasr.
But he says the CIA's Milan station chief at the time, Robert Lady, told him the purpose was to recruit the imam as an informer, not abduct him. Both Lady and Castelli were indicted.
Beyond embarrassing Washington, the case also threatens to pit the Italian government against the independent judiciary in a battle to protect state secrets.
"This is an absurd trial," said Silvio Berlusconi, who was prime minister at the time of the kidnapping.
"Now in the eyes of the entire world, our secret services will be seen as unreliable," he told AGI news agency.
Current Prime Minister Romano Prodi has angered leftist allies by opting to keep documents related to the case classified and refusing so far to forward to Washington a request by the judiciary to extradite the Americans.
His government this week challenged Milan prosecutors in Italy's constitutional court for breaking state secrecy rules during their investigation of possible involvement by SISMI.
Pollari says classified documents show he did nothing wrong.
"We are very disappointed as we're convinced there is a lack of evidence and that documents covered by state secrecy would show Pollari's innocence," said his lawyer, Titta Madia.
Originally published by Swiss Info, February 16, 2007. Additional reporting by Jane Barrett in Madrid and Eleonor Biles in Rome.